ICS Landing Zone Flare
Rotary wing aircraft operated by law enforcement, fire, Med-Evac and military must often set down in non-controlled landing areas, with natural and man-made obstacles (trees, power lines, buildings). Ground-based personnel will identify an area free of these obstacles and attempt to demarcate the area.
Flame flares, cones, and random flashing LED flares are often used. However, multiple vehicles at the site often result in an array of blue, red, orange and white flashing lights, making it difficult for the approaching pilot to easily and quickly identify the obstacle-free area. And fire danger often prohibits deployment of flame “fuses” on grass surfaces or in the midst of a fuel spill.
Pi-Lit® LZ Kit includes 5 radio-linked flares with both visible and infra-red LEDs. The flares are placed at the corners of a 100 foot (30 meter) square with one placed outside to designate wind direction OR inverted “Y” free of obstacles.
The flares flash in unison to create an identifiable “constellation” of either infra-red or visible flashing points. The operator may use any one of the 5 flares to control the entire group, changing from visible to infra-red with the push of a button.
- Intelligent radio technology automatically links the LZ Kit lamps creating a distinct simultaneous flash pattern that is easy to recognize from the air. Simultaneous flashing creates a "constellation" pattern for the pilot to look for.
- Powered by 4 off-the-shelf AA-alkaline batteries
- Battery life: ~72 hours of continuous flash
- 360° horizontal viewing angle, 180° vertical viewing angle
- 12 infra-red side LEDs, 4 visible green top LEDs
- Other available colors for the 4 visible top LED (green, red, blue, yellow, white)
- Compact and rugged making it easy to store inside any emergency vehicle
- Heavy and dense (not effected by rotor wash)
- Use in all weather conditions (cloudy, snow, rain, ice, fog)
- 100 ft (30 meters) radio range when on the ground (greater off the ground)
- Set includes 5 LZ warning lamps
- Can be placed in the square configuration (4 flares in a square + 1 outside the square for wind direction) or in the Inverted Y-configuration
- Default state alternates between flashing of infra-red side LEDs with top visible green LEDs
- Any one LZ flare can control the entire network of LZ flares
- Operator can lock-on infra-red flashing only or visible flashing only
- Battery status check with push of a button
- Turn all flares off with a press of one button (collect all flares before doing a "Group Off")
- Two bright flash patterns to choose from (operator's preference)
- Optional Remote Control (range = 300 meter | 1000 feet)
- Can be used in conjunction with multiple sets to form a larger demarcated landing area