Known for its inherent flame resistance, Nomex® has been the fabric of choice for protective apparel for over forty years.Nomex® is a meta-aramid fiber developed in 1961 by DuPont and first marketed in 1967. Nomex® has outstanding strength and abrasion resistance, so hoods manufactured from the fiber have exceptional wear life making them cost effective in the long run.
Recommended for STRUCTURAL FIRE FIGHTING as well as other industries which require protection from flash fire, radiant heat, electric arc or cold weather.
Other properties of Nomex® include:
- Inherently flame resistant
- Exceptional wear life
- Superb flash fire protection
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Easy Care – can be laundered using normal home and commercial laundering and dry cleaning techniques
- Mid-weight (7oz. / sq. yd.)
- Natural off-white color
- Less comfort than other hood fibers or fiber blends due to low moisture absorbency of 4.5%
- Meets CAL-OSHA Requirements
- Passes Fed. Test 191, Method 5903.2: CAL OSHA Sections 3406(d)
- Complies with OSHA Rule 29 CFR Part 1910, 269
- Outer shell and lining are 100% Nomex®/Meta-Aramid - approx. 7 oz sq yd.
- 1 x 1 rib knit fabric - knit to allow approx. 130% stretch for maximum stretch and recovery.
- Calendared to minimize laundry shrinkage.
- All stitching conforms to federal Standard 751 Specifications (FED-STD-751).
- Major seams are flat seam assembled, stitch type 607.
- Elastic in face opening is serged in with stitch type 504 and reinforced with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Binding is applied with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Composed of two layers throughout.
- Seamed from top of face opening to bottom back then cover-stitched for extra strength.
- Face opening is circular in shape and serged with x-heavy duty ½" wide elastic around the perimeter. The elastic is then folded back ½" and cover stitched. The face opening stretches a full 16" (which is 25% more than conventional hoods) for easy donning and a snug fit around face of SCBA mask. Face opening maintains original shape after repeated launderings.
- The bottom edge of hood is bound with self-material bias binding.
- Gusset added at side seams to provide complete shoulder coverage and smoother drape.
- Face opening is circular and measures between 4.6" to 5.6" in diameter
- Length of hood below face opening approx. 12"
- Length of hood at side from top to bottom approx. 17"
- Length of hood at back from top to bottom approx. 19½"
- Length of hood at front top to bottom approx. 20"
|Arc Thermal Performance Value (ATPV)|
|Thermal Protective Performance|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||28.5|
|Initial (inches)||0 x 0|
|Warp (wales) x Fill (Courses)|
|After 5 washings (seconds)||0 x 0|
|Initial (inches)||2 x 2.1|
|After 5 washings (inches)||1.7 x 1.6|
|Fabric Burst Strength (N)||911.4|
|Seam Burst Strength (N)||1320.5|
|Heat and Thermal Shrinkage|
|After 5 washings||0%|
|Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI)||31|
|Melt or Drip when exposed to flame||None|
- One size fits all
- Each hood is clearly labeled to identify material contents, NFPA acceptance, UL Classification, Date of Manufacture, and Care Instructions. Included with each hood is a complete user’s information guide.
- Meets or Exceeds Industry Standards
- UL classified to meet or exceed NFPA 1971-Current Edition; Compliant with CAL-OSHA Sections 3406 and 3410(d) and OSHA Rule 29 CFR, Part 1910, 269.